Friday, March 21, 2008

Faded Flowers

What is it about old millinery flowers that are so irresistible? The faded colors of the stamens and leaves? The hand-made twisting of the floral wire? The soft, silky petals accented with velvet?
Today I heard that two of my favorite vintage flower vendors in Manhattan are closing up shop. I called and spoke with each of them for quite some time and we all agreed that flower making has become a dying art. Long gone are the days when a fashion designer would call up a flower presser in New York and order hundreds of hand-made silk flowers. So, I will make a trip to New York soon to say goodbye to these friends as well as stock up on boxes and boxes of vintage fabric botany!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How sad that the flowers are fading. I can't wait to see what you find and bring home from your journey back. I'm sure you'll enjoy seeing your friends but also hard to say good-bye.

Have a safe journey.
Karla