Friday, May 20, 2011

To Market To Market!


What fun we all had in Salt Lake City! The Quilt Market was filled with all sorts of beautiful fabrics, designers and old and new friends. Moda is really good at pulling together all of their designers and making them feel like we are at a 3-day party - thanks Cheryl and Lissa and everyone else who make it look so easy and fun. One new friend, Christina Strutt, turned out to be even better than I expected! Upon meeting Christina and her daughter Kate, from Cabbages and Roses, Christina immediately said "I hate you" to which I replied "I hate you too". We didn't really hate each other - I don't think - we were both just insanely jealous of what the other was creating. Sometimes jealousy hits me hard - the little green monster sneaks out - the one that makes me feel like a total failure standing next to someone who's work is so beautiful. It's ugly and I don't like admitting it - but I just can't control it sometimes.
Within seconds, Christina and I were laughing and the ice had been broken - we couldn't get rid of each other - even if we tried! Every morning Christina and Kate would arrive in their beautiful frocks, lot's of stripes, organza and linen - only to drive me more crazy - not only beautiful fabric, but beautiful clothes too! I think they are a great addition to the quilt world - and I learned (the ugly way) that there is room for everyone.


12 comments:

Danette said...

Sometimes that little bit of healthy envy is what we need to spur us to new levels and different things. I have been reflecting On this lately - i really do feel happiest when I can celebrate someone else's success even if I wish it was me in their shoes.

I love that you talk about this! Everyone has those "I hate you" wink wink moments but few admit it!!

Cyndy said...

Kaari: I never tire of your creativity and am glad you have found what you needed to climb even higher!

Unknown said...

That green monster has been visiting me too, but you're work is so fantastic!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kaari - I feel that way every time I enter the French General! Lucky for me, you are so great so it doesn't last (cough too) long! See you soon! Celeste

Rose Brier Studio said...

Boy do I understand what you're saying! I like you much too much to hate you, but I get the jealousy thing.
~Marilee

ruth ann said...

Kaari, I think I just want to be you when I grow up!!!
Thanks for having such a sharing, creative spirit!
Ruth Ann

Bit said...

Do you sell a pattern for the ribbons that were in your booth at Market?

Josephine's Girl said...

I love your work and I love Christina's work (I have books written by both of you for inspiration) -- there's certainly room for both of you!

Anonymous said...

I am so thrilled for both of you! I'm grinning from ear to ear... ;-) OX, Hol

Le bateau rouge said...

Hi Kaari, it's great that you are so honest. We all are humans and have to overcome such feelings now and then. In the end, you succeeded and found a new friend. What a treasure! Anyway, both of you create fabulous things, but everyone has got her own style. Thats the way it should be. Keep at it!

Kate said...

Kaari,
Thank you for sharing your very human reaction to another talented person. Although I think it is insanely insane(!) that someone as talented as you are would feel this way, it is extremely heartening for me to hear that you do. I have always struggled with those same "evil" inclinations and I think it's because I identify myself, so much, with what I "create." (Self-worth hanging in the balance with each project!) I could talk about this for a long time, but I don't want to pontificate and this is not the place for a long conversation, so.. just thanks! Your work is truly an inspiration for me.
Kate

jone hallmark said...

okay.....First of all, YOU and "ugly" should never be used in the same sentence (!!!!!!)
How could you ever think that what you do is ugly? I completely understand looking at something you love, though, and thinking that you would like to be able to create something just like it.
I believe it is the mark of greatness in the creative world to feel "less than" someone whose work you adore and admire. So many of us feel that way about YOU and I guess it is just natural that you, as the creative genius you are, would feel the same.
goofy world...but it is also why we love you. You are a real person with feelings and insecurities and we can all relate to you, even though we are all in awe.
xo