Thursday, November 04, 2010

Holiday Stocking

My friend, Katy, at the The Grey Colt in Hudson, Ohio sent me an invitation to participate in their annual stocking competition. Normally, I don't think I have any time for such extra fun - but now that I find myself sewing ALL THE TIME - I decided to throw my hat into the ring!
I started with a simple stocking pattern and cut out two pieces from an old hemp sheet.I gathered up all sorts of old red scraps and sewed them down to each of the two pieces - on opposite sides. I didn't bother turning under the seams - I just sewed a simple patchwork with raw seams. Each piece fit together like a jigsaw - I tore at the pieces that were too big and fit them into the right space - just like a puzzle pieces.Eventually, I had two pieces with patchwork sewn on opposite sides. I sewed them together - inside out, leaving a 1/4" seam for good measure.I used an old curtain 1" top scrap with a ring sewn on to reinforce the top of the stocking and add in a hanging ring.
I don't think I'll win a prize for this old stocking - but everything used was recycled and it took me about an hour to create.
If you'd like to create your own scrap stocking - look for our stocking kit on the website soon.

9 comments:

Quiltjane said...

I love it, Perfect sticking made with my favourite colours and shades.

dorylyn said...

Cute stocking! I love that you created with recycled items...that is my creative medium! Currently, I am working on a blanket, throw, for the couch from recycled sweaters.

Linda said...

What a great fun project!

Tammy Burks said...

So lovely and inspiring! I don't really sew, but it makes me want to try!

Logan said...

Wow! Beautiful!!!

Anonymous said...

Maryanne said...

I LOVE IT! I would love to buy a kit from French General, will it include vintage scraps? Oh my!

jone hallmark said...

wonderful stocking....really!
It would be quite nice to make one from clothing that a child had outgrown so that the pieces would be with them forever...on their own Christmas stocking.

Thanks for sharing this....AND the amazing Hat Factory.

......wow.......

Daisy said...

What a lovely idea. The stocking is beautiful. x

michelle said...

I love it -the look is just gorgeous. Do you know when a kit might be available??