Thursday, January 05, 2012

Where Did the Time Go?




The last time I looked at a calendar it was December 21st...I was throwing our annual tamale party - which had been scaled down due to the fact that everyone I knew was sick or about to be sick or just getting over the sickness. How does that always happen right around the holidays??
It was just that kind of Christmas. Christmas Eve at my parent's house and a couple of weeks spent walking, talking, eating and relaxing. A friend texted me and said, "You're not in college anymore Kaari - you can't just move home for two weeks!" But I said - yes, yes you can. All seven of us moved home for the long haul.
My parent's live near the beach, so a lot of time is just spent looking south out their windows, towards Catalina Island. It's an amazing view - it's hard to take for granted. "Oh look there goes another pod of dolphins...or whales..." You can understand why we don't get much done - besides walking the beach, sitting at the kitchen table, eating and looking out the windows.
After doing this for two weeks, you start to forget about regular life. You forget about work, school, deadlines and any sort of stress. It's a great way to start the year - I highly recommend it. Then New Year's rolls around and I thought I had everything back in order only to end up cancelling our New Year's Dinner because there were too many sick guests! Welcome 2012!

9 comments:

Danielle Muller said...

oh...how i miss you, molly & kick...sending love to you all for a wonderful new year!! xoxo

Elaine from L.A. said...

Oh, please don't take living near the beach for granted, Kaari! I did, and now I'm terribly homesick even after being in Oregon for five years :~( And i can't afford to go home very often, so I haven't even been to your new location :~(

Elaine
{your infrequent customer who used to live in Hollywood Riviera and work at San Gabriel Bead Co.}

Floss said...

I hope you are well yourselves. It sounds like you had a wonderful holiday, and maybe the enforced lack of partying was good too, for a change? My sister gave me your French-Inspired Home book for Christmas and I am enjoying it so much! Have a wonderful 2012.

Carole Kurth said...

I found your blog! Great stuff. Love your fabrics and book. I can also appreciate the images of looking out the window at the surf...my parents have a small beach house, and when we're there, you're mesmerized at the action of the waves, the changing of the clouds, boats traveling by. We eat and stare, too!

Rose Brier Studio said...

what danielle said! If I had your folks I would move in for 2 weeks too! Happy New Year.
xoxo
~Marilee

molly said...

good times, man, good times.

Donna S. said...

Jealous.....great way to start any year!!

Rachel said...

Hi Kaari, just wanted to let you know that I received the Red, Green and White fabric from your giveaway in December. Thank you so very much. It's gorgeous, and I know EXACTLY what I'm going to make with it - a Christmas quilt for my mum. It was a lovely surprise in the mail yesterday. xo Rachel

Elena said...

Es una maravillosa forma de empezar el año... relajados (no enfermos, por favor)!!
Preciosos paisajes y precioso lugar.
Un abrazo desde España.