Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Nina Bagley is Coming to Town!


Ten years ago, my good friend Holly from Key West called and said she was headed to Montreal to take a workshop with an artist named Nina Bagely.  My first response was "You're going where...to do what...with who?" And then she told me she was going to take Molly Meng with her for the week....
Back then, living in New York, owning French General on Crosby Street,  I didn't know anyone teaching workshops - except the local art center or knitting store.  But Holly was a visionary and knew that there were artists out there that were extremely talented and were sharing their work in intensive workshops.  Molly and Holly came home form Montreal with a whole new set of techniques and ideas....they just sucked up the creativity that Nina was offering and their artistic talent and eyes flourished.  
Last summer, while we were in France and I was learning all about Instagram...Nina's name popped up....again.  I hadn't heard about her in years, other than Molly constantly saying "Oh I learned this in Nina's workshop -  and I learned that from Nina in Montreal - oh and that little trick...I learned it from Nina."  Who was this woman?  So, I wrote to Nina (rhymes with China) and asked her if she would ever consider coming out to Los Angeles to teach at French General.
To my surprise....Nina wrote back in a flash and said she would love to teach at French General!  Quick panic set in as I didn't really know what Nina would teach!  But within days, Nina had sent me not one, but two wonderful workshop ideas.  Using her metal and charm techniques, Nina will teach two jewelry workshops - and although each workshop can stand alone - both will build on each other.  
Nina's first workshop, will be an evening of fun, on Thursday, October 17th from 6-9.  Nina will focus on teaching us how to build and layer vintage charms and amulets.  Techniques include: learning how to coil wrap wire, drill mother of pearl and build a birds nest using wire and pearls.  All materials and tools will be provided, but you are encouraged to bring any old bits and pieces that you would like to turn into a jewelry charm...old mother of pearl buttons or buckles, beads or broken bits to precious to live without.
The second workshop, on Saturday, October 19th will be a full day of learning.  We will gather at 10 in the morning and spend the whole day creating a multi-wrap choker or bracelet.  Filled with Nina's own unique techniques, this workshop will allow you to use all sorts of vintage buttons, beads, textiles and leather to design a richly detailed jewelry wrap.

Both workshops will have a limited amount of seats so that students have the opportunity to get up close and personal with Nina.  This is a special opportunity and we hope you will be able to join us.

Thursday, October 17th from 6-9

Saturday, October 19th from 10-4

5 comments:

Laura said...

Wow that looks like so much fun! Everything Nina makes is beautiful!

nina said...

excited! excited! excited!!! xo

Diana said...

Gosh, I wish these were just a few days earlier, as I'll be out of the country when the workshops take place. And I haven't seen Nina in a couple of years! [whimper]

Marianne said...

Oh I wish I could attend. But my first grandchild is due around the same time.
I love this bracelet and hope this class is offered again someday.

Anonymous said...

thank's for your information !