Thursday, August 14, 2014

Downtown Digging in Los Angeles


For the past thirty five (!) years, I have been digging for gold in downtown Los Angeles.  Whether I am looking for old beads, feathers or buckles I am surprised to learn there are still some wonderful old vendors that have shops filled with vintage and new treasures.  I have gotten to know some of these dealers over the years and have come to rely on many of them when I need a new batch of inspiration for designing jewelry, fabric and ribbon.  
For those of us not going back to school this September, I thought we should go on a little tour of downtown Los Angeles!  I've designed a day of exploring some of my very favorite vendors who sell some of the most beautiful supplies for sewing and crafting.  We will explore my favorite source for Liberty fabrics, an old millinery shop where you can still find hand-curled feathers, and of course, drop in to some of my regular bead and button suppliers.  The tour includes a petite breakfast at French General in the morning, and afterwards we will drive the 15 minutes to downtown LA and start our walking tour.  Lunch at the Ace Hotel and then back to the district for more shopping...be sure to wear your digging clothes and I'll bring the hand wipes!

4 comments:

http://thankfullga447 said...

I wish I lived by you to do the tour. I use to live in NY and I miss those old fabric shops. Sounds wonderful.

Cynthia's Creating Ark said...

If I only I could be there but not possible as I live in South Australia. I love to dig in those type of shops. We did some last time we were in the US with friends of ours who knew where to find those specials shops.

Windmill Farm said...

This trip sounds so fabulous, I want to come so bad!!! If only I lived closer, live up in Northern Ca. Great idea, know your group will have such a wonderful time and how great to support your local businesses.

Sherri said...

This sounds like so much fun! I might have to plan a trip to LA!