Thursday, March 05, 2009

Buying out of the Boot

Not many people are lucky enough to have a vendor that pulls their car right up your driveway and lets you dig in. Rochelle drives her caravan (or van) to FG about once a month and lets me rifle through her suitcases of old French fabric, passamenterie and silver luggage tags. Underneath layers and layers of old boxes and bags, Rochelle has a very sophisticated collection of 18th and 19th century home decorating inspiration. This past week I found a length of silk ribbon samples sewn together- Victorian? - maybe a little earlier; a scrap of red Toile de Mulhouse from Alsace, France; and a pile of colorful, old prints (plates) of men's costumes and accessories - they are "Incroyables et merveilleuses"! Since each one is different - I won't be able to sell them online (too much work) but if you are interested, come by FG someday and you can choose your favorite one. Rochelle doesn't sell everything in the van - which is a little maddening when I finally dig out an amazing pair of Aubusson tapestries. Actually what she said was, "You can't afford those" and she's probably right - I like the scraps of old fabric that look like it got caught under a tire and then chewed by a goat...which is kinda what these Aubussons looked like - sans the goat chewing. After I took this photo of Rochelle, she said "Oh, you're going to make me look like a crazy woman!" and then we both just laughed! Vendors - they are crazy and colorful and I am lucky to work with some of the best!

12 comments:

The Joy of Nesting said...

Hi Kaari,

I think you are having way to much fun!! Actually everything one needs to have or wants to have comes by our door each day. There is the PU with mops, brooms & cleaning supplies. The gal with her 5gal bucket full of iced shrimp, the chicken salesmen, the water guys,flowers, dirt, tamales, furniture, bed mattresses, like I said anything and everything can be bought out of the back of a vehicle or push cart! :) You know I wake up every morning to the newspaper guy and the relization that Life can't get much better then this!! :)

Take care, stop by when you have a chance.
Pattie ;) Mazatlan Mexico

Rabbit Hill Creations said...

How wonderful to have treasures brought to your door, I would feel like a kid at christmas every time!...the picture of Rochelle and her treasures is priceless.

Anonymous said...

I can only imagine what is on the very bottom of her truck, has she ever emptied the car? there must be some good things. And how great that she comes to you!!! Have a wonderful day!!!

Georgia Peachez said...

Are you kidding me! An antique vendor that makes house calls!! Now that's crazy. xo, suzy

Lee Weber said...

wow- now THAT'S a junking buddy. It wound like so much fun!

It' an Evolution said...

I am just in shock...where does she get all of that stuff??? How amazing that she comes to you...only dream of something like that. How many people does she sell to ??? I am just so curious how she came to drive around with all that stuff in her car??
Amazing.
Janet

Anonymous said...

Wow, Kaari, that looks like some great scavenging in that van! What a blast!

molly said...

good times, dude, good times.


ps: maybe we need to visit pattie in mazatlan?!

Melissa said...

How fabulous. Back when I lived in northern California my mom and I had a shop (flower and home decor) and we did have one salesman who drove down from Washington with a van load of fabrics, laces, trims, buttons, etc. Although they weren't French or vintage we loved whenever he'd stop by and visit. That's a fabulous van to have show up though. I don't know if I would be able to handle it!

Anonymous said...

Kaari, I love her!!! I bought a pair of very old European drapes form the fab Miss Rochelle along with some other dreamy pieces years ago and I just ran into her at the Rose Bowl Flea. She is such a classy lady and I love listening to her stories she is a wealth of information. So great to see her on your blog!! xox amy

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh!! Will she come to my house!!?!! She just has too many treasures crammed in that car!!!

Jen said...

Wow, how absolutely fantastic. To be the one who sells, seeing each customer's mouth agape and drooling when you pull up. She must have just as much fun looking for stuff to sell as the customers who buy it. Lucky lucky you!