Tuesday, March 24, 2009

A Warehouse in Johannesburg

Back on Crosby Street in New York, a man named Neville Trickett walked into the shop, walked around for a long time and then came up to the counter and said he thought our shop had a soul. A soul. I had never thought about a shop having a soul before - but when he said it, I believed it. It wasn't long after that, we packed up the shop and moved FG out to California. I often wondered what ever happened to Neville - I knew he and his wife, Sharon, owned and managed a creative retail space in Durban, South Africa named Saint Verde. They hired local craft people to weave baskets, blow glass and forge metal; they grew indigenous flowers and plants and displayed them in a garden house; and, they collected old textiles which they blended in with their borosilica glass collection. The day I met Neville in New York, he was being presented with a recognition award at FIT for Retail Visionary of the Year.
About a week ago, I received a note from Neville! I had been trying to contact him for years and it seemed he had fallen off of the face of the earth. He wrote that he had discovered an old two-story warehouse in Johannesburg that was filled with tons of old stock - ribbon, notions and millinery...would I be interested in seeing what he had found? Um, YES! So here are just a few shots of some of the beauties Neville and Sharon have uncovered. Neville's daughter, Sara, is making up small beauties with all of the old trim that she's offering at her etsy site - Lucky You!
Now I patiently wait for a box to arrive from Johannesburg - I imagine it will be brimming with old colors and textures and all sorts of things that have been tucked away in South Africa since the 1930's....what could be more romantic?? To see Neville's home, look here. To see inside his mind, look here and here.

15 comments:

The Joy of Nesting said...

What a perfect definition of Serendipitous!!! I think you have been designatede the gardian angel of vintage, orphaned materials :)

Pattie ;)
Mazatlan mx.

Jeanne Oliver said...

How amazing that he was able to find you and bring you all those treasures. Can't wait to see what you get.

Dia said...

These stories are so lovely! You're so lucky to live in a place that treasures and gives a new life to vintage things. Where I live is hard to find them. They're just thrown-away stuff and only in the biggest cities there are some antique shops, but I don't know if they have millinery items. Your stories remind me of the days when me and my sister were sneaking in my grandmother's rooms to dig into the drawer for the March pendants and post cards she had gathered in years. We were too young to know how to preserve them, now they are all gone. But the memory still remains.

Laura @ 52 FLEA said...

What an intriguing post! Love the vintage trims.....Their home is fascinating....the glimpse into his mind...hmm....I am enjoying your blog so much!

molly said...

holysheet, doggie! i'm so glad HE found YOU! can you believe it?! super rad. tell him my 'hello', as well. can't wait to see the good stuff from the box.

Cheryl Carey Bass said...

WOW! I can't wait to see what Neville sends! How terribly thoughtful of him to contact you after all this time...and with such wonderful news. I enjoyed looking at his Flickr account with his home. Very eclectic but COOL! I still don't quite know what to make of the turquoise corner with the awesome antique bureau, white dishes, and giant flying man artwork. That's very itneresting. Thanks for sharing!

elizabeth baer said...

I am green, pale blue and pink with jealousy - a great story and it has to have a very happy ending for a Hollywood princess!Elizabeth

Floss said...

I love your stories, and so does my mum. I've put a link to this story on my blog today, because I know how much my mum will enjoy reading about more of your treasures!

Thanks.

Shabby Chick said...

Hi, I've just popped across from Floss' lovely blog. What a great story, you must be so pleased he got in touch. Can't wait to see what's in the box!

mel xxx

Sheri Howard said...

Wow, what a wonderful find for you, I know it will add to your already beautiful things...I would love to just go look in that warehouse!

Claudia said...

How wonderful that you reconnected with him. Such treasures await you! I just went to look at photos of his home. Amazing! Thanks for sharing him with us.

paperbird said...

Ok the dead birds freaked me out but I loved Neville's home, thanks for sharing- can't wait to see the treasures you get.

Lee Weber said...

Wow- what an amazing story. I can't wait to see everything.

Jamie said...

What treasures await you! This is an amazing find! Jamie V in MT
amzanioli@yahoo.com
http://rem-nants.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I just found your blog and am sittiing here reading it in reverse!!! I'm addictedm, you're going on my bar right at the top of the computer so I can see what he's sending you!!!! Beautiful blog, I wished I lived near the store. Would love to get lost in your stash!!! xoxo Mary