Saturday, October 02, 2010

Hands Down

We are heading back to France next summer - just thought I would let you all know in case anyone wants to come along. It's a very casual trip - no more than 18 women that gather at a chateau and eat, craft and shop...not much more than that. We usually spend our mornings sitting around a large table - in the dining room or on the patio - sipping tea and eating a warm chocolate croissant - listening to the church bells at 8am. We craft - spending a good amount of hours in the old barn - heads down - diligently working on some project or teaching the person next to us a skill we have recently learned. We look for vide grenier or flea market signs along the road and then we follow any lead we can possibly sniff out - sometimes we find gold and sometimes we come home with empty pockets. And then we eat again...and drink a bit of the local grape.
I dreamt up these trips a couple of years ago because I wanted to continue going back to France with my mom. I took my mom to France for her 60th birthday and it was the right trip at the right time. So finally - I have figured out a way to return every summer - to return to the rural lifestyle. Molly comes along too - and continues to experiment woading her hands - where else?
However...we return to the land in grand style. This summer we are planning a fabulous week - my old friends Marcia Ceppos and Wendy Addison have decided to join us and indulge us in a week of Tinsel Trading Craft. We'll still visit my old friend Patrick Bru - who has a brocante in his backyard, dye with woad alongside the master Denise Lambert, and laugh with Laurent our sommelier - but this summer, we will also craft with Wendy Addison and hear the lore of Tinsel Trading from Marcia Ceppos.
If you are game, or just need to get away from it all...join us this summer on our third annual Chateau Getaway in France. I promise you it's the best week you'll ever spend at a chateau - hands down! Details and sign ups at frenchgeneral.com

Au revior!

14 comments:

Krishenkas Treasures said...

I met you and your mum last year at the Chateau (I am the one with the very Scottish accent) and what a great time was had. I hope to see you next year and that dye is well unmovable. Your new book is fabulous by the way.

Theodora quilts said...

It sounds like a great time I wish I could come along , have a great time maybe in the future I would be able to ,have a good time.

dorylyn thomas said...

How exciting!! This is just what I have been wanting to do!!

Anonymous said...

I am signing up right now! I missed out on the chance last year but won't let that happen again! Thank you for planning this Kaari, I look forward to spending a week in France with you and Tinsel Trading.

Catherine Monroe

Jackie said...

Wow!! Just when you thought it couldn't get any better...Wendy and Marcia!! How amazing that will be!!

Meg said...

Mon Dieu, Kaari! That sounds like heaven on earth. I will have to live vicariously through you all again next year.

Anonymous said...

Kaari....At the time, I thought that 60th birthday trip, five years ago(tee hee), was the best....but each trip is better than the last...Love, Mom

Judy Whitman said...

A friend and I were lucky enough to be part of the Chateau Dumas experience last summer - and we will be singing the praises of this trip for years to come. It was amazing and you will be delighted with the creative spirit of everyone who attended, the ambiance of the Chateau, our wonderful hostesses, and the food which was beyond delicious.
I'm urging you all to sign up asap. You will love every minute of your week in France.

Heather @ The Beating Hearth said...

This is basically a dream come true. I hope you have a lovely time and I'll be jealous the entire time.

molly said...

you coulda used the camembert pizza shot, too

Rose Brier Studio said...

You are making this very tempting! My best friend was born in Paris to American parents. I would love to visit France with her. Plus you add Marcia and Wendy? Can't think of anything more fun!
~Marilee

Cindy said...

Wow, so happy to have just found your blog. I was recently given a copy of your beautiful book by a sweet friend as a surprise gift in the mail.
The trip to France sounds wonderful..what a dream to be able to do something like this!

Unknown said...

Kaari,
I am over the moon with excitement!
Can't wait!
-Julie

Crystal Farish said...

I'm really interested in this!!!! Can you tell me where I can get more info? crystalbeutler@msn.com