Friday, August 22, 2008

Back to the Loom

I am in my second weaving class now - it's still as overwhelming as the first. It took me almost three full classes (that's 9 hours!) to warp the loom. My warp is old white cotton string that someone had dyed a melon color - almost 20 years ago. It's a beautiful warp and it's finally on! It's those damn hedels that drive me a little crazy. This time around I am going to weave a runner for Sofia's bedroom floor. I am using all different shades of old coral, pink and salmon - fabric, wool, cotton and linen - all woven together to form somewhat of a rag rug.
Since weaving is a luxury for me, I have to remind myself - if I am not in a relaxed state of mind, it shows on my weft. You have to almost escape and let your mind wander about nothing, because if you start getting stressed about what you are going to make for dinner, how your car is rattling (again) or the latest deadline, you stress out the fibers and they look funky.
This stand-up on the bench idea looks interesting - but not very comfortable - I don't think weaving is a luxury for this woman - I am sure it is a necessity.

1 comment:

molly said...

Paula, the teacher i'm working with in the first grade, has a loom in the classroom and is going to teach the whole class to weave! ya-hoo!