Friday, June 01, 2012

Raising A Teenager

I hope you will indulge me for a minute or two and let me talk about one of my favorite subjects.  For the past 15 years, my life has been filled with craziness, laughter, drama and love - and all because of one very special little girl named Sofia.  People say that Sofia is a good mix of both myself and JZ - she is funny and shy, beautiful and simple, confident and awkward - everything you want a little girl to be.  Sofia isn't so little anymore - but I still see her as my little girl - even though 15 years ago today, at 4:20pm I gave birth to this complicated bundle of joy.  You see, the thing about raising teenagers is - they are really just little kids growing into bigger bodies.  I have learned that I need to give Sofia room to grow, room to explore and room to develop so she will become the grown-up that wants to hang out with me.  I cherish the days I have had with Sofia and I look forward to every year we have together in the future...every crazy, loving, and emotional day!  Here's a little look at the past few years...the road to becoming a teenager and the teenager Sofia is today....






Happy Birthday Sofia!
Love,
Mommy

11 comments:

Gail said...

Best post I've read in a very long time. It hits home for me and I can totally relate....Sofia is beautiful and lucky to have you for a Mom!!!!!

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday, Sofia! What a lovely young lady!

Louise said...

Warm birthday wishes to Sofia! It was delightful to observe her working so diligently at the woad workshop!

Tracy Altieri said...

Happy birthday, Sofia!

Susie said...

Yes it is lovely and a privilege to raise her isn't it and you have every right to be a bit emotional. Blessings to you both

molly said...

dude, i could look at photos of sofia alllll day long. ahhhh. cannot WAIT to see you guys this weekend.

Floss said...

Happy Birthday to your beautiful daughter - who is only a few weeks older than my handsome son! It really is quite something, isn't it, to be with someone you love as they grow up.

I have a big favour to ask you, and I hope it is one that you will enjoy (it's easy enough!) At a local Vide Grenier on Saturday I found the most incredible little sequinned collar, and I just can't find out anything about the vintage sequins or when the collar might have been worn. If you have time I would be so grateful if you could pop over and look at my photos on this blog post:

http://trocbroc.blogspot.fr/2012/06/vintage-velvet-and-sequin-crowns.html

If anyone has an idea of what the collar is, I know it will be you!

sue said...

She's beautiful!!!!!!!

Ann Ferguson said...

What a beautiful post and thanks for sharing. I also have a 15 yer old daughter and I know exactly where you're coming from. Your girl is growing into a beautiful young woman!

Carrie Mc W said...

Love it! I love watching my teen figure her life out and hope I've given her the tools to do it with flair :)

Happy birthday Sophia!

dls said...

What a beautiful daughter you have......