Monday, November 24, 2008

I Dream in French

Every once in a while I am asked why French General - why did we name our business French General? Do we have some strange obsession with Napoleon, Charlemagne, Henry IV, or Jean of Arc? No - although I do love the story of Jean of Arc and how she turned the tide of the Hundred Years' War by leading the French to victory at the famous Siege of Orléans. But besides that bit of fascination - I did not study French history. The name French General came to me one night while my mom and I were spending time in the south of France for her 60th birthday. We were staying at Chateau de Roussan and I woke up in the middle of the night with the name French General in my head. Just like that - it happened. Nobody really liked the name - in fact, some people thought it was a little absurd, naming a business after a dream. But, to me, it made perfect sense. We were opening our barn which was filled with treasures from our trips to France. We were trying to create an experience for people that they wouldn't be able to find unless they travelled to France. We aren't French - just generally French. A little bit of the French style with a dash of the general store. Just in case you were wondering...now you know.

5 comments:

becky up the hill said...

I really love the name of your business. It sounds intriguing, strong and inviting. The story couldn't be more exciting. I can't imagine anyone having a problem with it...no scope for the imagination!

tam said...

I think it is a really cool name-I like it! Good luck with your business!
~Tam

somepinkflowers said...

i take dreams
as ~~Signs From Above~~

{{ i cannot help myself }}

:-)

one day i dreamed
i bought your newest book
---> Home Sewn.

and so i did.

:-)

now i have
lavender~filled dreams
of pages 70~73.
so
after the holidays,
we shall see.

thanks ever~so
for the inspiration.

{{ am looking for little bird fabric
left
and
right,
just about everywhere }}

Anonymous said...

I love your shop!

A bird in the hand said...

I took it to mean "French general store". I could not visit your store so I bought your first book that I dip into now and then.

However, when a Francophone friend asked me to translate, I said: La boutique du général français.
(artistic licence)

"Lequel?" she asked.

She would.

Cheers, Colette